Sunday, November 20, 2011

Poster Project? More like Disaster Project.


So far today I have done nothing except for work on this poster project. The whole time this project has been assigned I thought for sure that it would be easy to create a nice picture and a nice poster and get an easy A on this project. However, after working on this picture all weekend so far I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get an F on this assignment simply because I do not know how to use any picture editing program to save my life. Every time I use a tool it does something different that I do not want it to do. The same tools never do the same thing, and it seems that each time I go to use a tool it wants to perform a different function than what it did last time I used it. I have added in and taken out so many pictures and I now have no clue what I can even do to make this any better. What I have so far is very cheesy and seems simple to make, but I cannot make it any more complex because I simply do not know how to use the editing tool to make it any better. The Aviary program likes to perform different functions every time and it loves to mess up my layers and add in and take out random things from my layers. I would love to make this poster look way cooler and way more complex/diverse, but I simply cannot do that because my skill with this tool is unbelievable low and horrible. I have watched all sorts of videos and tutorials  but the tools never do what they do in the tutorials and my project just ends up getting messed up and looking worse than before. This project could be a very cool one, but I personally hate it because I do not like the idea of me being graded on my skills of using a software that I have 1) never used before and 2) have no skill with.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This project sucks! I literally just finished and that’s only because I have no clue how to make it better. I pretty much though of the simplest idea possible and didn’t even bother trying to edit photos or put in different backgrounds. I literally could not have done any simpler. The software is really difficult to use, even with the tutorials and it seems like if you use a tool for one thing and go to use it again, it does something completely different. Luckily, I believe he said we wouldn’t be graded on how the picture looks, necessarily. I mean, we will a little bit but he said the most important part was justifying why we used certain colors or pictures or effects. So if you can convincingly tell him why you chose a certain type of font or color then the grade shouldn’t be too terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason,
    We have the same problem. I know that I had good ideas for the project but technology and I just are not friends. I just submitted mine a few minutes ago and I'm not at all satisfied with that work that I did. I'm sure our professor won't be either. But anyhow I started out with an awesome idea but it ended up being too hard for me to accomplish no matter how hard I tried or how many tutorials I watched! So it ended up being way simpler than I had hoped and way worse at that. Aviary isn't really that complicated but it also isn't very user-friendly either. It's just kind of confusing. I hope that neither of us have to use it ever again! But I'm sure you'll do just fine on the project as long as your essay well supports what you wanted to convey through the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain man. I have the same problem. I had so much work and exams in the past two weeks, and I thought this project would be easy to do over the weekend, but it didn't work out. What I have right now is not that great. I'm doing a poster to promote for registration for bone marrow donation which would have been really easy if I knew how to use Aviary. I hope everything work out for the best. Looking at the bright side at least we don't have a big paper for the final. iI'm trying to do this math HW right now but it's really complicated stuff, so I have a long night ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I emphasize with you completely. I bet most of us wish we were adept at Photoshop software, but for some reason although we are the younger generation, we aren't young enough for all this delicate technology. I didn't use Aviary; I used a tool called Gimp, which is basically a similar photoshopping program. Of course, it took forever to make the poster even look presentable. Likewise, I thought this was going to be easy, but I couldn't have been more wrong! Hopefully our posters will be graded easily, regardless of how messed up they may look. Mine looks so elementary, I tried my best to come up with really deep explanations for the choices I made in creating the poster. Hopefully with your essay, you'll be able to get a good grade. Since it seems like so many of us are insecure with designing and editing the posters, Cody will understand our pain and suffering, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man...you guys are good! I didn't even bother using Aviary or Photo shop. I knew from the moment he showed that crap to us in class that if I tried to use it, it would just be a said story from the beginning. You wanna know what I used? Microsoft Word Art and Clip Art. Simple and sweet. I stuck to what I knew. I heard everyone complaining about all the stuff and I just said no..I'm not gonna put myself through it especially if it's not required. I commend all who tried to use it though. You guys are good, I'm just not brave enough to even try. Sometime I feel like I should try to learn to use that stuff, but I know deep down it won't make me a better artist. I just wasn't blessed with that skill. I'm sure the instructor will consider how hard you guys tried to learn to use that stuff and he will grade in your favor.

    ReplyDelete